Join the Co-op
Students and friends of the studio can choose to become members of the Circle Yoga Cooperative by paying a nominal $20 fee per calendar year. When you become a member, you can vote for two student members of the co-op board and share your voice in the future of the studio. As a co-op member, you also receive:
- A 10% discount on merchandise
- Special member discounts on single-day workshops
Household family members can share one membership. All memberships expire at the end of the calendar year. Student memberships purchased now are valid through December 31, 2018.
In March 2003, when Circle Yoga founder Annie Mahon set out to open a yoga studio in Chevy Chase DC, her aim was simple: to bring the joy of mindful yoga and all its benefits, including stress-reduction, greater flexibility, and a sense of inner peace, to children, adults, and families of Washington, DC.
As a student of renowned Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh and longtime practitioner of both yoga and mindfulness meditation, Annie believed in the power of yoga, meditation, and mindful living to create mental and physical well-being and ultimately transform our lives.
Today, Circle Yoga is a warm, welcoming community of students and teachers who come together to practice yoga, mindfulness, Pilates, and other wellness modalities. The studio offers a range of classes to suit all ages and fitness levels. Students enjoy three light-filled yoga studios, along with a welcoming reception area, retail space to browse in, and a contemplative Zen garden outside.
In 2012, Circle Yoga became Circle Yoga Cooperative (CYC), the first yoga cooperative in the DC area. CYC is governed by an elected board of directors.
Our Guiding Principles
- At Circle Yoga, we believe that no one can own a community of practice. We are an autonomous community, not controlled or influenced by interests outside of our core mission.
- We work as a team – management, teachers, staff, students, our elected co-op board. We love feedback and we use it when making policy and operational decisions for the studio.
- Our goal is to be a sustainable enterprise that provides excellent classes to students and fair wages and a supportive environment to teachers and staff; it’s not about earning money for an individual owner.
- We believe that by offering the highest quality yoga, Pilates, and mindfulness in a community-owned studio, we attract and support wonderful students, teachers and staff.
The CYC Board of Directors
The CYC Board of Directors consists of two student members, the founder, at least one desk worker, at least one teacher, and three other employees, for a total of eight board members.The board meets at least three times per year to review studio operations and finances and to make major policy decisions.
Each September, members vote to fill four seats on the Board. In September 2018, the following positions will be filled by election:
- One student member
- One desk worker
- Two other staff members or teachers
Applications for nominees for the CYC board are solicited in August in advance of the September annual meeting.
Next Annual Meeting for CYC Membership
Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 7:00 pm
at Circle Yoga Cooperative
3838 Northampton St NW
Washington, DC 20015
CYC Board of Directors
September 2017 - September 2018
Yael Flusberg (teacher) - Chair
Jen Pape (staff) - Vice-Chair
Connie Miner (student) - Finance Officer
Mercedes Santos (teacher) - Records Officer
Elizabeth Hubley (teacher)
Jody Jose (student)
Seth Dellinger (teacher)
Annie Mahon (founder)